Monday, November 28, 2011

EC&I 831: Introduction to Connected Learning

It was really interesting to see how this EC&I 831 class is very similar to our class here at USD!  I really like the idea of "Open Access Courses" and I really like the structure of how this Blackboard Collaborate works!  Bummer that it is expensive like Alec Courcos mentioned!

Anyways, here are some take-away points and ideas that I thought of during this video:
  • How can something like this open education course be used in our classrooms in our schools?  Whether it be at USD or another college or in our schools that we work in?
    • Can Blackboard Collaborate be part of the new M.Ed. in Math, Science, and Technology Education program that USD is re-vamping? (Who can I mention this to?  Because I think it is a great tool if USD wants to make the program a hybrid course!)
    • San Dieguito Union High School District (where I work) currently offers online/distance ed. for their students.  This is completely online and does not require students to come to school.  There are no restrictions as to who can take these online classes and are geared towards helping those students who are behind in college credits "catch-up" to graduate on time.
      • Now, my issue with this is that I personally have taken online classes in college and have found that distance ed. classes take A LOT of self-motivation.  With SDUHSD allowing any students to enroll in these classes, are they setting up these students, who are already behind, for failure?  If they already exhibit that they are "failing" classes, what makes the school district think that they will have the self-motivation to learn on their own?
      • Maybe something like an open classroom with scheduled meetings may be more beneficial rather than just having an entirely online class where the student is basically learning on their own??
  • The idea of an open course or open classroom.  I personally REALLY like this idea because I am a big believer in networking.  With having an open classroom, I think that the more people involved, the more ideas and collaboration we are able to work with, but I did have my doubts like many of my classmates about the credit versus non-credit participants.  In this video, I think I was given more of an understanding about how credit students are noticed by the professor and how he mentioned that he looks out for those students more than the non-credit participants, which I think is very important in that classroom environment.  I think that it is great that non-credit students can participate to improve their professional development in a formal classroom-type setting.
  • The idea of network mentors.  I think this is great and I'd love to be a network mentor for this USD class next year!
  • Blackboard vs. Adobe Connect: I have a friend who is in the credential and masters program in Los Angeles and she posted something on facebook today about how she doesn't like Adobe Connect because she can't pause, rewind, fastforward, etc. the recordings of her class.  I've asked her if I am able to see one of her classes and she sent me a link.  (I currently can't get past the "connecting" part, but hopefully I can update you all with my thoughts on Adobe Connect!)
To view the EC&I 831 Open classroom, check out their website at: http://eci831.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment