Saturday, December 17, 2011

Final Reflection

So, for our FINAL blog post to end this class, we are supposed to basically grade ourselves and reflect on ourselves as a learner... So, what did I learn, did I do the required assignments for this class, and how do I see myself as a learner???

Let's start with what I learned... Really, I think this has been one of the best classes I have taken during my Graduate career at USD! I'm not just saying that because I want a good grade in the class, but it was a practical learning experience. Jeff taught us different tools to integrate technology in the classroom and we were VERY hands-on in actually using the tools. We were able to see the successes and difficulties of using technology in the classroom by actual classroom teachers (teacher panel class and visiting the Lindsay Community Day School). And best of all, we created our Personal Learning Network and REALLY networked with other people in the education field. We didn't necessarily talk sooooooo much about theories and "important" education people out there, which we get so much in all of our other classes... we were just in it in the sense that we really dove deep into the technology aspect and I LOVED IT!!! So, what can I say about what I learned??? I learned a lot! I now have a real understanding of what Twitter should be used for and it definitely is not what I thought it was! I learned about Prezi and how much cooler it is than PowerPoint!!! I learned about how we all learn differently, which is seen in our classrooms that we teach in. I learned how to create a symbaloo and how to add a voice-over using jing. And, I learned how to blog and how to manipulate and add cool things to your blog!! Now, that's not everything I learned, but bits and pieces!

Now for the technical part... did I do the required assignments for this class... YES!! (haha) I may have been a little late in a few posts or lagging on becoming a resident in the virtual world, but I got there. I think with the flexibility Jeff gave us this semester, this class was not only a learning experience, but it was stress-free and FUN!!!

How do I see myself as a learner??? From Pink's book, I would definitely see myself as right-brained, but I do have left-brained tendencies... Like I mentioned in a past blog, I'm a little bit of both, which is a great mix in our world today, since we are moving away from the left-brained world to more of the right-brained side! I think this class made me think a lot about my future students that I will have in the classroom. With technology, there are so many different aspects to bring to a curriculum that hit different learning styles, but it is important to know my students and how they learn and apply that to my curriculum. I really like what Natalie mentioned in our teacher panel about how she was using technology to help her with the different learning styles, but what she didn't realize is that she wasn't doing anything bodily kinesthetic. Her students were forced to sit in a chair and use their laptops, but they way they learned best was by moving around, so her curriculum had to change. I think this is such an important aspect in teaching that many teachers do not "get". They are so stuck in "their way", that change is impossible... I think as teachers we need to move out of the "well, that worked before, so why won't it work now?" attitude and more towards really getting to know our students as DIFFERENT learners.

So... with that said... what grade do I think I earned this semester??? or do grades even matter?!?! ;)  Well, if I would have to grade myself.. I'd say A is for Annie, and A is for Awesome (which I am), so I think A!! (haha) All in all, I really enjoyed this class, my classmates, and our professor. Jeff-- I really do hope you continue to teach this class at USD because this class was definitely one of those classes that I actually wanted to go to!!! and it was very informative!

I do plan on continuing to tweet and blog and hope to see my classmates on Twitter and Blogger as well!! Also, I plan on updating my personal blog with more recipes and more upcoming travels in the future (new post on our trip to Anguilla will be up in January!!!)

Thanks for reading!!! And Happy Holidays!!

Annie

1 comment:

  1. Happy Holidays Annie! I enjoyed reading your post and I do agree A is for awesome and that you deserve one! You've been going above and beyond and I've enjoyed reading your blogs throughout the semester :)

    ReplyDelete