Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Teacher Panel & our last EDUC 578 class

First off, I would like to thank our teacher panel, Jen Roberts, Greg Ottinger, Natalie Priester, and Susan Glassett for taking the time to join our EDUC 578 class last night and share what you do with technology both inside and outside of the classroom!  The discussion was very insightful and helped me really pull together what we've learned in EDUC 578 from Professor Heil and what I can potentially do in my very own classroom when I finish my Credential and M.Ed. journey at USD.

Some things that put insight on using technology in the classroom was that integrating technology is not easy and takes time to show real progress.  Hearing our panel's journey throughout their careers is very motivating.  Like the saying goes, "what you get out of life, is what you put in" and it goes hand in hand with integrating a new innovation in the classroom.  I think it is very important as a new teacher or any teacher that is going outside of the "norm" is to know is that things won't change right then and there, it takes time, guidance, and development for that change to be really noticed.  With technology in the classroom, there will be those who are hesistant, but I think with our progress in obtaining our M.Ed's at USD, we are already taking a step forward with being prepared to implement this innovation.

From our EDUC 578 class, our main objectives are to looking at how we were learning as a student when we were in school, how we are learning now as professionals/M.Ed. students, and how our students learn.  What stuck with me from the panel was how important it is to have that individualized instruction for EVERY student in the classroom and how technology can make that possible.  Whether it be from programs that Natalie shares with us that allows her to individualize her lesson plan on the computer and hitting submit right there on the spot, to Susan talking about the ability to give her students to choose what they want to do.

Lastly, I think I resonated with our panel when they discussed how technology may be seen by some as alienating one another from face-to-face and critical social interactions, but in reality it is a way for those students who are shy or quiet or don't have as strong of a voice to really be able to express themselves.  This allows for our shy students to step forward in sharing and collaborating instead of forcing them to stand up in the front of the room and speak when they are not yet comfortable.  I know this, because I was that shy student all through grade school.  I absolutely hated speaking in the front of the class and I was hesitant to raise my hand and share my thoughts because of that fear of speaking in public.  I personally didn't get over this until my junior/senior year in high school, but it was a terrifying experience!

Again, thank you to our panel and it was a great close to a great semester with my fellow EDUC 578 classmates!!!

(If you want to check out some notes from the Teacher Panel, click on my Class Notes tab)

No comments:

Post a Comment