Sunday, October 9, 2011

Visitor or Resident???

After watching the video, I would say that before EDUC 578, I definitely would consider myself a visitor.  Although I participated in social media networks like facebook and myspace, I was completely (and still am) private about what I post and who can see my posts, photos, uploads, check-ins, etc.  For awhile, I was very active in "posting my status", but found that to be too much information to be sharing even with my selected "friends" on facebook.  At this moment, I would say that I am still private, but like the presenter mentioned, I am a visitor in the "non-institutional" way where I keep my family and personal life "private".  As for the context of the institutional way, I would consider myself on my way to the resident continuum.  I'm not all the way there, but I am participating in twitter, LinkedIn, Diigo, my blog, etc. that is much more open for everyone to see my footprint that I have left on the web.  I don't think my facebook will ever turn into a "resident" way, but I use that social media tool as a way to keep in touch with people I already know and use that in the non-institutional sense.  To close, I really like how he described a visitor and a resident...

A visitor sees the web as an untidy toolbox.  They go in knowing what they need, mill around in the tool box, find their tool, use it, and then put it back, whereas a resident sees the web is a collection of tools.  The web is a social space to mill around in and leave your footprint behind.

4 comments:

  1. I like you selected quote from the video. That was one that stuck out for me and help to put things in to perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the little summary analogy you wrote at the end. It definitely makes all the information make more sense. I guess I was a little confused about facebook and what's considered a visitor and a resident. Even though you were selective about what you shared wouldn't you still be more of a resident, because it's a social network site and even though it's just your friends, it still exists when you're offline. That part of the difference between a visitor and a resident was a little vague to me, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you consider yourself a visitor. I always look at everything you are able to do online and I feel like you are a resident because compared to me you know how everything works. It is the idea of being private though that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I would disagree--you seem like a resident to me!I definitely look to you for "local" information :)

    ReplyDelete