Monday, October 10, 2011

A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink

To be honest, I don't think I've read a book, let a alone a homework assigned book that actually grabbed my attention.  I've ALWAYS been the one that is jealous of those who have the time to read novels just for fun.  Now, I do read, but nowadays, it's reading that is assigned for a class.  I've bought many books that I've been interested in, but finding the time to actually sit down during my free time is scarce...  I guess maybe because I choose to sit on the couch, relax, and catch up on my DVR'ed shows during my free time... After reading Chapter 1 of Daniel Pink's, A Whole New Mind, I left myself wanting to know more!  (Now I haven't felt this way about a homework assignment for a really long time!!)  I think it's fascinating to read about the new technology that allows us to view the human brain.  I've always considered myself a little more right-brained because of that creative, empathetic, and simultaneous side that I demonstrate, but I can also see the sequential side of the left in me.  Now, reflecting on Part 1 of the book, I can see where both sides are tied together, especially with things that I do.  Although I write right-handed and throw right-handed, I bat (in softball) left-handed, do kartwheels left-handed, and many other things left-handed.  I now don't know if I was actually trained to do things "lefty" or if it just came more natural that way (when I first started playing softball, I was pretty fast, so they trained me to hit left-handed, but I could also hit "righty", but it felt more natural on the left side).  Anyways, after reading Part 1, I found myself really interested to read more about the quote on the front of the book "why right-brainers will rule the future".  I can't wait to read more!

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I LOVE to read, one of my favorite things, but I haven't had the time to really enjoy a book in a while which makes me very sad. I barely have time to catch up on my dvr (which also makes me sad) but when I do I am usually doing homework that is so dull that it doesn't keep my attention.You are right though, this book is very interesting. I think Daniel Pink is a wonderful person to listen to as well as read. He has great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. forgot to say that I like the bottom picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny because I've always thought of myself as a more right-brain type of person, but in reading this I may actually be a more left brained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marissa, I think I'm in the same boat as you! I think I'm more left-brained but I definitely have a lot of the right-brain learning styles and skills as well. I also love to read, I always make time to read for pleasure, no matter what because I think it's an excellent way to wind down and just focus on things other than work and schoolwork. I think that Pink's book was as easy to read as a "read for pleasure" book and definitely didn't feel like a homework assignment. I finished way earlier than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only in a class like this could I learn such an interesting fact that you cartwheel left-handed! I love it:)

    ReplyDelete